Friday, July 29, 2011

Schenectady, New York

I've been in Schenectady this week for a class on advanced power flow.  The town is without a doubt one of the most depressing places I've ever been.  GE used to have a big plant here way back in the day, but then they shut the plant down, and as they were leaving, they pretty much turned out the lights and shut the door.  Now all that's left is a shell of a downtown full of nice buildings with a lot of empty office and retail space and a bunch of people who looked whipped and depressed.  Everywhere you go, there are adults just sitting on the side of the street--even in the middle of downtown--looking beat.  At rush hour, you can walk right across the city's main street without even looking both ways.

*sigh*

It hasn't been a really exciting week.  I mean, the first day or so was okay just because it was nice to get a break and get some sleep, but towards the middle and end of the week, the place has become practically unbearable.  Fortunately, the town itself is pretty enough.  I went for a long run along the river on Wednesday morning, and then I did a tempo run this morning in the same basic area, but other than that and a few hours of extra sleep, there's not much to be said for the week.

I did get out to see Harry Potter VIII last night, and I liked it, but it was kind of a drag to know how it was gonna end.  I mean, it's an impressive visual spectacle, but I wonder how hard it would've been to follow without having read the book.  'Course, I suppose by now everyone has read the book, so maybe the issue is moot.  At any rate, I'd have preferred to have seen Captain America, but Sally said that she wanted to see that with me, so...  What are you gonna do?

Not sure what all we have planned this weekend.  I know I'm gonna go for a long(ish) bike ride tomorrow morning, but beyond that, I don't have too many plans.  You?

Hello?  Anyone?  Plans this weekend?

*sigh*

No comments: