Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday: Back to Life, Back to Reality…

It’s Monday, so I’m back to work for the week.  The weekend just flew by.  Got up Saturday for the race, swam, waited around for the awards ceremony, and then came home to pancakes.  While I was eating, Emma and I watched Saturday’s stage of the Tour, hoping against hope that Tejay VanGarderen could pull off the stunning upset.  Disappointment.  After that, I cleaned up the kitchen and then headed downstairs to iron.  Emma and Sally went to a birthday party, and while I ironed, Hannah and I watched Green Lantern: Emerald Knights

Unfortunately, we didn’t finish before Emma got home, and I thought the violence in Emerald Knights was a little much for her, so we turned that off and put on The Fantastic Four: World’s Greatest Superheroes onNetflix.  They like the FF because it’s very much a show about a family, and I think it’s at least watchable.  Which is to say that it’s a good bit better than 90% of the other crap that’s on TV.  Personally, I prefer Iron Man: Armored Adventures, but I can understand why the girls prefer the Fantastic Four, and I tend to let them choose the cartoons most of the time—within reason.  I mean, I won’t watch My Little Pony or anything, but we can generally agree on Voltron or The Batman or something like that.  The problem is that the girls like to punch evil in the face as much as I do, but they’re girls and prefer stories with girl heroes.  But there aren’t many of those.  With Voltron, you at least have an important, if occasionally idiotic, female lead, which is good, but it’s far from perfect.  On top of that, Hannah at least seems to understand that the show always has basically the same plot, and she’s joined me in the subversive hope that someday Prince Lotor will succeed in destroying the Castle of Lions and make off with Princess Alura.  That, at least, would make for an awesome episode.

In any event, after ironing, I went for a run, came back, set up the grill, grilled some corn, chicken, and hot dogs, and we ate outside on our picnic table.  Then once we (finally) got he girls in bed, Sally and I watched this week’s episode of Royal Pains on Hulu.  And that was our rockin’ Saturday night.  We were out cold by ten-thirty.

I got up early on Sunday.  I’d planned to go for a bike ride, but my body was sore from the race and especially from the run in the full-on heat of the day prior, so I sat around and basically soaked up some couch time.  Couch time by myself is a rarity for me.  I wrote up the Race Report you might’ve seen yesterday (below), made breakfast for the girls, and eventually turned on the crashingest Tour de France stage I’ve ever seen.  ‘Course, not much happened while we were watching besides the Contador crash, but still…  Anyway, by nine o’clock we were headed out the door for Six Flags: New England.

We bought season passes for Six Flags last time we went, and this time we decided to use them to go to the water park.  That was a good idea for a while, but it eventually got very crowded.  Still, we got to ride some great slides, and it was a lot of fun when we weren’t standing in line but I think that we all liked the simplicity of the wave pool the best, as well as the fact that you didn’t have to wait to use it but could just climb right in.  ‘Course, that’s the beauty of the passes.  We live close and can easily go back when it’s less crowded.  I’m hoping to take a day in August, so we can go up mid-week.  Anyway, we were cooked by about three pm and decided to head out, but then we stopped and road a few roller coasters and then took pictures with Batman and the Green Lantern at the Hall of Justice, and between that and the walk, we didn’t make it out to our car until around four.  Still, we were back at the house by a little after five or so, and though we were all tired, I can’t complain.  All in all, it was a pretty great day.

Dinner last night was leftovers.  After that, Sally gave the girls a shower, I made my lunch and cleaned up the kitchen, and then Sally and I showered, and I think everyone in the house except maybe the dog was asleep by nine pm.

And the next thing I knew, the alarm was going off, and I was getting ready for work.  Time just flies.

***

Well.  I know you really came to find out what’s going on in the Tour, so here’s a link to a write-up that I liked a lot on Podium Café.  It kind of explains what’s going on with the top riders in the General Classification(GC) competition.  Today’s a Rest Day, so there wasn’t any racing, but you can view the recap below if you’ve a mind to do that.

No comments: