Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday: Not D-Day

Today's stage was supposed to be the big battle, but it turned into a pretty big stalemate.  Andy Schleck attacked three times, but he couldn't get any time on any of his top rivals, and honestly, he just doesn't look like he has the acceleration to ride away with it this year.  I like Andy, and I was rooting for him to win, but at this point, I think the Tour is Cadel Evans's to lose.  That's okay, I suppose, but what I really like about pro-cycling--and any pro sport really--is seeing guys who are the best in the world exert their total dominance of the field.  That's why I like sprinter Mark Cavendish, and it's what I was hoping to see from Schleck this year.  But I think the Schlecks are about to waste an opportunity here, and that... well, that kind'a sucks.


***

For me, today was a quasi-rest day.  I took the girls to the YMCA and let them play while I put in an aerobic swim workout.  For my main set, I did a set of 200s freestyle on short rest, working my aerobic pace.  My goal was to swim at the fastest pace I could hold indefinitely.  It was alright, but it took me a good thousand yards to settle down and really accomplish what I'd set out to do.  

I've been swimming so hard all season as prep for last week's Greenwich Point One-Mile Swim that just kicking back into a more natural triathlete's swimming pace is kind of a challenge now.  But I don't need to swim to win a race right now.  I need to swim in such a way that I'm ready to get on a bike and GO!  It's a slightly different animal, and it requires a slightly different approach.  Still, at least the base is there.

No comments: