Friday, March 19, 2010

Ack! Late Season Storm Destroys Westchester County!

I'm usually loath to talk about my work here--or anywhere--but with the huge late-season Nor'Easter that hit NYC and the surrounding areas last week, well, life got a little hectic.  If you're wondering, work called late Saturday and asked me to come in immediately--to work overnight.  That was no good times.  Fortunately, they called back a few minutes later and rescheduled for EARLY Sunday morning.  So I got a couple of hours sleep, went in, and was promptly assigned as the municipal liaison from my company to the Village of Harrison, NY.  The 3rd richest town in America, with something like TEN billionaires in town (including Kenneth Cole) as well as most of the Yankees, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Jets, Giants, etc.  Basically, if you have REAL MONEY, then Harrison is where you live.  And the storm completely destroyed their electrical infrastructure.  We had to rebuild parts of it almost from scratch.

As you might imagine, my posting turned out to be a rather high-stress position.

At a certain point, I was reassigned to straight-up construction management, but that was actually even more intense--well, dealing with live wires in emergency situations is ALWAYS like that.  But at least no one was yelling at me anymore.

Anyway, I'm back now, but I doubt I'll be back daily until this weekend.  In the meantime, I hope you had a good week.

No comments: