Sunday, May 22, 2011

Don't Ask About the Race

Seriously.  Ugh.  I had a flat pre-race, and then my spare inner-tube turned out to be the wrong size, and it was all downhill from there.  I was slower in all three phases than last year, and to top it off, I took a wrong turn on the bike course, adding maybe 3 miles and 10-minutes to my total time.  I even had to ask directions!  After that, I'm not gonna lie, it was hard to stay motivated and put in a quality run.

Yuck.

At times like this, I'm reminded of some of the reasons why I quit swimming.  Going off the emotional cliff after a really disastrous performance is not fun.  Honestly, I feel like Vince Young, ready to throw my helmet and shoulder pads into the stands at LP Field.  I mean, I'm coming out of it now, but yikes!  It's the Mean Reds all over again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I was really looking forward to reading about your race, so you can imagine my disappointment when I read your title of :Don't Even Ask about my Race. First off, you're way too hard on yourself my friend, and secondly, it's not like you failed on a personal level because you had a flat pre-race and your spare was the wrong size. That is equipment failure dude. Then add the fact that your mind was on Sally and her race debut, which is hardly a downfall - in fact it's really sweet. The whole getting lost thing I have no idea what happened there so I'm just gonna leave that one alone. So, chalk up this experience as just that - experience. And look on the bright side - its not like you DNF'd so you can look forward to reclaiming your title next time around and be more aware of crucial things like course management and keeping the correct equipment on hand. Hats off you to for the attempt alone!

Danno E. Cabeza said...

Thanks, I guess.

Eh... it was disappointing. I've been training hard, was expecting to do well, and wanted to do well.

My swim was around 3:20 to the wall for 300-yards, which isn't disastrous. It's not great, but it isn't terrible, either.

It's hard to say anything about the bike. My bike computer malfunctioned. Plus, my legs were tired the whole first lap. I felt better on the second lap, but then I found myself in the Town of Orange, and I knew I had to find my way back. Ugh. That took some time.

My run was straight-up disappointing. Official time was 20 minutes for 2.2 miles. That's over a 9-minute/mile pace. So that probably includes Transition time, but even so... Ugh.

Worst thing is... I probably still won my age group. Not a lot of fast folks in this race.