Thursday, April 14, 2011

Stuck in Hartford Airport

I'm on my way to Nashville to see my mother, and my plane's broke.  Fortunately, it's a direct flight; I don't have to make a connection.  So, bottom line, I'm sure I'll get there at some point today.  On the other hand, it would've been cool to know that I had more time to catch my flight.  I'd have liked to go swim this morning.

After talking to the doctor last night, I'm heading down to either put my mother into Hospice care or attempt to take her back to the rehabilitation hospital.  At this point, Mom is stable, but the doctor doesn't think that she has  a realistic chance of recovery.  In fact, at this point it's very much an open question as to whether or not her mind is still functioning at anything like full capacity.  Added to that is the fact that last time they tried to take her into the rehabilitation hospital, she was back in the ICU within 12 hours due to renewed internal bleeding.

On the other hand, Mom can't stay in the ICU.  She's stable, and the ICU isn't meant to be a place for folks to just hang out.  However, up to now, she's been surviving on a steady stream of IV drugs, IV blood transfusions, and constant medical interventions, and she's still sliding slowly downhill.  But my mother's last wish was to basically fight to the bitter end.  And I want to honor that wish as long as it remains valid.

Still, I don't know how cognizant my mother is, and I don't know if she knows how sick she is.  The doc described her current state as "torture."  Somehow, I have to sort through all of this today and come to some kind of intelligent decision.

But my plane is broken.  And now my flight's been cancelled.

No comments: