Saturday, April 2, 2011

2011 Race Calendar

Brian’s Beachside Boogie
Sunday, April 10, 2011; 9:00 am
Hammonasett State Park

This is a short duathlon, 2-miles/10-miles/2-miles.  Sally and I did it two years ago and liked it, though it was windy as all get out.  Then they raised the prices last year, and we decided to skip it.  Which worked out because it was COLD.  This year I’m running the race by myself because Sally’s got a nasty case of plantar fasciitis.  And once again, it promises to be COLD.


Westport Minuteman 10K
Sunday, May 1; 7:45 am
Compo Beach, Westport

Most years, I love this race.  We ran it for the first time maybe four years ago.  Maybe even longer ago than that.  Then, three years ago I fell off my bike and broke my arm.  And had to watch Sally run it.  Awesomely.  Which sucked.  Then, two years ago, we ran together again, and Sally smoked me BADLY in super-hot 85-degree weather.  In April!  And that sucked.  Then last year—again—I couldn’t run because of a pulled groin.  Ugh.

So.  Finally, this year it’s MY TURN to run, and Sally’s turn to watch.  Ha!

Anyway, I still love this race.  I’m not a good runner, but I like to run and I feel like I’m running well right now—at least for me.  So I’m looking forward to seeing where I am in terms of conditioning vs. past years.


Y-Tri
Sunday, May 22, 2011; 8:00 am
Woodruff Family YMCA, Milford

Last year I won my age group, mostly off a blistering swim posted against a small seven-man field.  You wouldn’t think you could get that far ahead in a 300-yard swim, but I posted a 3:10, and that gave me maybe a minute or so on the field.  From there, I managed to hold serve through the bike and then gut out what was at that time a 2.5-mile run.  It was a nice little race. 

This year, the race is Sally’s first race of the season, and it’ll be her first triathlon EVER.  It’s a short Sprint: 300y pool swim, 10-mile ride, roughly 3-mile run.  I’m not sure, but I think they’ve changed the run course, probably to ensure that I don’t win my age group again.  Bastards.  Anyway, it should be an interesting experience for Sally, but I need to get her out on the bike a couple of times between now and the end of May.




Sherwood Island Sprint Triathlon
Sunday (Father’s Day), June 19, 2011; 6:30 am
Sherwood Island State Park
(Not Signed Up Yet)

This is a new race located on one of my favorite local beaches.  We’ve not signed up yet, but I’d really like to get this one in.


Greenwich Point One-Mile Swim
Saturday, July 9, 2011; 7:30 am
Todds Point, Greenwich

I’ve been nursing a little knee injury this year.  Turned out not to be real serious, but I’ve been wearing a brace, and to compensate training-wise, I’ve put more focus into my swimming.  With that in mind, this’ll be one of my “A” races this year.  I doubt I can win, but it’d be nice to go under 20-minutes and be competitive in my age group.


Amica 19.7 Ocean Beach
Sunday July 24, 2011; 7:00 am
Ocean Beach Park

This race was new last year, and it was brutal.  It’s a long Sprint: full ½-mile swim, 16.5-mile ride, 3.2-mile run.  Not a bad course, but they advertised it as flat, and it’s not.  It’s actually one VERY LONG false flat, maybe 2% grade, just enough to make you miserable while you try to keep the pedals turning.  On top of that, the run course is absolutely devoid of tree-cover, so that by the time you’re out there, you’re absolutely baking.  Last year’s run times were miserable, mine included, and everyone looked a little dazed after the race.

I’ve not signed up again yet, but I’d like to.  My mistake last year was thinking that this race was going to be easy because I’d done an Oly with a lot of climbing early in the season.  I won’t make that mistake again.


Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon
Sunday, August 21, 2011; 7:30 am
Brodie Park, New Hartford, CT

Two years ago, Sally and I did this as a tag-team.  Last year, I did it solo. 

It’s a nice swim, but it always feels long—which isn’t actually a problem, at least for me.  Then there’s the ride, which is nice.  Downhill for the first half and then rolling hills that climb slowly into a 3-mile climbing finish.  That finish is brutal, but then, that’s kind of the point.  Where I struggled last year was in the run, which felt like it was uphill the entire way despite being a circular course.  In reality, I think that the first mile and a half or so were steeply down, and then we climbed slowly back for the rest of the run, and I just let it get to me.  Or maybe it was just fatigue playing havoc with my mind.  Either way, it was quite the mind-screw, and it left a mark.

In any event, they sent me a $10 coupon, and so I signed up again.  Was this a good move?  I’ve no idea.  I do know that I need to spend more time riding long before I head out there again.


Westport Kiwanis Triathlon
Sunday, September 11, 2011; 7:30am
Compo Beach, Westport

Now THIS is a triathlon.  A full half-mile swim, followed by a 6-mile ride and a 2.2-mile run.  Like Charlie Sheen, I was actually winning for a while last year, and I think I ended up fifth overall.  I can’t wait.  BRING IT ON!

I’m hoping to get Sally to run this race, too, but it might be kind of a long way for her to swim.  We’ll have to see.  At least the swim course is shallow, anyway.

No comments: