Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Notes: 8/24/11



·         I know it’s hard being a stay-at-home mom and all, but I still get jealous sometimes.  After all, Sally declared this week her “stay-cation” week while I’m still working the same as always.  So far Sally and the girls have gone to the beach, the aquarium, and the movies, and it’s only Wednesday.  I’ve no idea what they’re doing tomorrow and Friday, but I’m pretty sure it’ll be something that’s a little more fun than double-checking New York City’s bulk power system outages and deciding on a minimum cost-effective generation mix to meet the city’s electric load given those outages and the predicted weather and business climate. 

Not that I don’t like my job.  I like my job a lot.  But, I mean come on!  I LOVE the beach.

·         The Indianapolis Colts signed quarterback Kerry Collins today, and speaking as a Titans fan, I gotta say that I am DELIGHTED.  I mean, I like Collins and all, and I think he’s probably about the best option that was available to the Colts this late in the pre-season, but with that said, I’m super-eager to watch as Colts fans finally experience the kind of misery that my Tennessee Titans have known for the last few years.  I don’t wish Manning any ill in the long term, but it sure as Hell won’t break my heart if he misses about four games this season and then looks rusty when he finally does come back.  Personally, I think it’d be nice to throw some of those Colts bandwagoners off the back of the bus and ground that franchise in a year or two of mediocrity.  Might breathe a little life into the rest of the NFL and let some of the national media focus on some other, newer stories for once.

·         Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry has taken quite a bit of personal credit for the number of jobs created in Texas in the last few yearsclaiming that this proves that the combination of small government, small business, and voodoo economics that advocates has been working in his state.  Unfortunately—for him and for the rest of the country—the reality is that most of those new jobs have come as a result of increased Federal spending in Texas, mostly in the form of incoming military personnel and/or support personnel and the business growth naturally accompanies incoming military personnel and their support structures.  So, bottom line, Rick Perry would be shit were it not for Fort Hood.

·         Hey!  We had an earthquake!  In New York City!!!

 I totally felt it.  In fact, my initial reaction was fear that some asshole terrorist had finally succeeded in setting off a nuke downtown.  That’s one of my recurring nightmares, if you’re wondering.

·         Finall, a question: if I throw out my old commuting bicycle helmet and start using new racing helmet for commutes, does that then mean I can then justify going out and buying a new $200 racing helmet for next season?


And that’s about all I got.  Hope your week is going well.

No comments: