Friday, August 26, 2011

Full-On Panic!!!


Well, New York has now descended into full-on panic mode.  Mayor Bloomberg announced a mandatory evacuation of low-lying areas in the City, and they’re gonna shut down the subway and the rest of the mass transit system starting on noon tomorrow.  Which is kind of unbelievable.  I’ve been here through some pretty spectacular stuff, but this is the first time I can ever remember an actual, pre-meditated transit shutdown.  Folks who have to get in to work tomorrow—which is a goodly amount of folks, at least in my company—are starting to think seriously about how they’re gonna get in, and frankly, I’m getting concerned about the Monday commute.

With that said, I’m personally lucky this time.  My boss and one of my co-workers are gonna man the fort tomorrow, so I can stay home with my wife and kids.  And that’s good because the storm track shifted to the east overnight.  Now, instead of making landfall in Queens, the damned hurricane is looking to cut a swath through my front yard!

Argh.  I’ve been through a few hurricanes before, and so far none of them has been a big deal, but I ‘ve not got a good feeling about this one.  This one looks like it could be pretty bad.

In other news, Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson continues to hold out, and I’ve started to think that he might fool around and miss the whole season.  In the first place, he seems to value himself well beyond what the market dictates, and then too, I’m not sure he’s accurately appreciating the amount that his skills could atrophy if he sits out a year.  And more to the point, I’m having trouble imagining who’s gonna sign him two years from now if he indeed decides to sit out and wait for that ever-elusive mass payday.  Bottom line, it’s getting to the point where I don’t think Johnson’s holdout is helping him anymore, but with that said, he seems like he might be the kind of guys who’s stubborn enough and determined enough to hurt himself in order to hurt the team.  And that’s a Hell of a shame.

I’m no fan of CJ’s agent, BTW.  I kind’a doubt that CJ is getting good career advice at this point.

Finally, while we’re on the subject of football, the Jets and the Giants are playing a preseason game tomorrow afternoon, immediately before the hurricane hits.  By that time, mass transit to and from the game will be completely offline, so the game promises to be an utter zoo from jump.  Personally, I can’t wait.

Have a good weekend!


No comments: