Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wednesday Stray Voltage

Not a lot going on today.  Big phone/conference call day for me today.  I ended up catching a late train, which meant that I had to go to the gym at 5am this morning, but I wouldn’t call that bad.  Just different.  I’m normally up at 5, but for whatever reason I still feel like I’ve been droning all day today.  Guess I just needed a double-shot of coffee after my workout.

On the D&D front, the Sellswords finally got into the city of Athkatla yesterday.  They’d originally decided to head into the city because it’s a major slave-trading center, and they have some spellscarred child-slaves to sell.  However, thankfully one of the players has had a change of heart.  Which is interesting.  Now he’s got to try to convince the others to send the kids to an orphanage rather than out to a mad wizard’s lab where they’d be the subjects of who-knows-what kinds of insane arcane experimentation.  Heh.  Morality is a tough issue in a game with no real consequences.

I felt bad for Jack after watching this week’s 24, especially since we now know that the show’s been canceled for next season.  So old Jack’s not gonna have a chance to get his life back together after this.  However it ends this season, that’s how it’s gonna stay for all eternity.  And for a show that’s gone for the super-happy ending more than once, I’m sensing a downer of a conclusion.  With Renee dead and Jack’s mission a failure, there’s really no chance for redemption anymore, is there?  It’s not like Jack’s wife is gonna come back from the dead.  I don’t see how the poor guy could possibly wind up as anything but old, miserable, and bitter.  Eh.  Maybe he’ll die, too, and they can all be together in a big sex-sandwich up in Heaven.  I suppose that’d be a happy ending of a sort.  And anyway, Jack converted to Islam at the end of last season, so I suppose they could always martyr him and then show him with him getting the 99 virgins.  At least that’d be an ending that folks’d talk about.

It was warm in New York City today, and all the crazies came out.  Seriously, I found myself wondering if Welfare checks had gone out or something because bums were literally everywhere, and they all seemed happy and a little stoned.  But I suppose it could just be the weather.  We had a rough, rough winter, and I doubt anybody suffered more than the barely functional.  I slept on the back of enough tank turrets to be able to imagine what it must be like to sleep on a transformer grating trying to stay warm.

Unfortunately, it’s still a little too cool for the NYU students to be out in their bikinis getting sun in Washington Square Park.  Those girls always make the park seem cleaner.  Certainly they make it a better place to take a lunchtime walk.

And that’s about all I got.  Until tomorrow…

No comments: