Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Of Gods and Presidents...

Before I go any further, let me just say one thing: the whole death-industrial-complex is a fucking jobs program.  It’s unbelievable.  Seriously.  I literally cannot believe the amount of technical, legalistic bullshit that goes into trying to put somebody’s final affairs in order.  Shit, she’s dead, she left everything to me.  It’s not that she liked me so much, but I was her only son, practically her only living relation.  How fucking hard is that to understand?  Look, there is no valid reason why I have should have to fill out all these damned TPS Reports in triplicate.  Except to keep a lot of lawyers, accountants, bankers, pimps and prostitutes in fat cash, homey.  It’s driving me stark raving crazy.

Yuck.   

Alright, so I haven’t done a lot of politics lately, but I gotta say that I’m pleased to see that Donald Trump’s would-be presidential campaign finally seems to have flamed out.  It bothers me the way that all of this year’s would-be Republican candidates are basically just reality TV stars.  Even Newt Gingricha formerly serious guy, seems like he’s just in it at this point so he can sell some T-Shirts, grab a spot on Fox News after it’s over, and maybe write another book.  He must know he can’t actually win the election.  Not only is he short and dumpy compared to the president, he’s also perhaps the second most polarizing figure in recent American political history (behind Hilary Clinton), and he’s got an extensive and well-documented history of cheating on his wives.  This is not the way presidents are made.  And Gingrich is smart enough to know it. 

Bottom line, besides Mitt Romney, there’s not a single serious candidate in the Republican race.  And what’s even worse, Romney has to run away from his strengths in order to appeal to the Republican base!  Ugh.  I mean, I don’t love Romney or anything, but I can at least admit that he’s a smart guy who came up with a smart health care system, and that he’s a successful-enough business man to maybe make a serious effort at intelligently balancing the budget.  But right now he can’t run away from his own record fast enough, especially on health care, which is arguably his greatest success.  Hell, even the fact that he’s an upstanding Mormon family man is gonna hurt him with the Birther/Wingnut faction of the GOP, let alone the fact that he was governor of Massachusetts.  Y’know, the Republican base will in no way vote from some Yankee businessman from Massachusetts.  It just ain’t gonna happen.  Which leaves us with Trump and Palin and Bachman and whoever the Hell else wants to get out there and rouse the rabble in some hopelessly quixotic campaign to confuse the issues and scare the Hell out of everyone with a bunch of talk about gay marriage.

*groan*  Those guys are all so scared of the gays.  I just don’t get it.  Like it’s catching or something.  Look, I don’t actually know all that many gay people—and I work in Manhattan!—but the ones I do know are totally NOT scary.  Not scary at all.

Still, I get it.  The current president looks utterly indestructible, and so all best Republicans are simply holding their fire this time around.  And that leaves us with the wackadoos.  But still…  it’d be nice if the GOP could at least put up the appearance of a serious fight.  I mean, it’s not a done deal or anything.  We are actually going to have an election.  It’d be cool if we could get a candidate or two to at least discuss the issues.  Somebody who doesn’t have to “phone a friend” in order to come up with a list of the last few books she’s read or the newspapers she reads regularly.

*sigh*

On the brighter side, I saw Thor last night, and it was totally better than I thought it was gonna be.  I blame that entirely on the screenplay.  I noticed in the credits that the movie was actually written byBabylon 5 creator J. Michael Stracyznski, and I hope like Hell that means he’s gonna put another series on TV.  Babylon 5 was awesome, and the major networks are very obviously searching for something they can put out there that’s both good and relevant to pop culture and comic books.  Stracyznski’s probably the right guy to go to for that.  Still, I’m not holding out too much hope.  I mean, I’d like to see that long anticipated HBO long-form series of the Bendis/Maleev run on Daredevil but I don’t actually think it’s coming.  But who knows?  Maybe something good will show up.

Of course, if it does, they’ll probably just cancel it after half a season.  Like they canceled The Chicago Code.  Fuckers.  America can’t get enough of Bob’s Burger’s, but no one wants to watch the Chicago Code?  What the Hell is wrong with this country?

Eh.  That wasn’t really the brighter side, was it?

Anywho, Free Comic Book day was last Saturday, and I gotta say that I LOVED the thing that Robert Kirkman put out, Super-Dinosaur.  An obvious concept, maybe, but very well crafted, and my kids loved it.  I’m putting it on my Pull List.  And seriously, I can’t wait to see what Kirkman does with it.  What an awesome book!

Now if they could only write Batgirl for actual pre-teen girls, it’d be all good.

And finally: Triathlon.  Where I’m tired of being tired. 

It’s now that part of the season where the early aerobic prep is hitting hot and heavy, and none of the big races are close enough to justify resting or attempting to round into form just yet.  So I’m basically hammering myself into hamburger every weekend, and right now, it feels like it’s been a month since my quads started hurting.  Just walking around takes a conscious effort of will.  Seriously, not to pimp Kirkman again, but I feel like the walking dead, and it’s getting old. 

Thankfully, I’ve got my first actual triathlon of the season in about 10 days, meaning that I’m four days and an afternoon away from starting a Rest Week, and I cannot fucking wait.  Granted, this isn’t one of the bigger races, and I’ve got to do at least one long bike ride with intervals between now and then, but still… It’s an excuse to back off, and I’m taking it.  Plus, I won my age group at this race last year, meaning that this year I need to defend the championship belt. 

Hey, it’s something, right?  Maybe not as good as being WCW’s European Champion, but y’know, it’s nice to actually win every once in a while.

Well, I think it is.

No comments: